(Art museum of the archbishopric of Cologne)
19th century ; 21st century
Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia
Exterior view: facades. The "filter walls" are described in the museum literature as air and light permeable membranes. Location: Kolumbastraße. The museum was founded in 1853 but the gothic buildings in which it was housed were badly damaged in the war, though most of the collections, stored elsewhere, survived. A "Madonna in the Ruins" Chapel was constructed (Gottfried Böhm, 1949) as a shrine to a figure of Mary which had survived the bombing, but the collection was shown elsewhere until this new building was completed, encompassing the ruins of the older structure.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Creator Dates - Born:
Architecture -- 1800-1900
Art museums -- Germany
Architecture -- 2000-2100
Church architecture -- Germany
Gothic revival (Architecture)
Buildings -- Repair and reconstruction