Cavendish Arcade Windows
Use of glazing in modern buildings
View looking across a section of the roof with stained glass designed by CLARKE. Originally built as a hot baths for ladies and gentlemen in 1820, but redesigned (1852-3) in a form more like the present. Further alterations followed until in 1984 it was converted into a shopping arcade - a central feature of which was this immense stained glass window by Brian CLARKE. It was inspired by the blue of the adjacent River Wye with sycamore seeds floating on it. CLARKE's signature, a red cross, is visible in the window. A further refurbishment in 2001 has seen the addition of new lighting, signage and a disabled lift. Heritage information panels are now placed prominently throughout the building.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Creator Dates - Born:
Artist - Stained glass.
Glass -- In architecture
Buildings -- Repair and reconstruction
Architecture -- England (Derbyshire)
Shopping malls -- England
Heritage tourism -- England (Derbyshire)
Glass painting and staining