Description: Replica of celebrated sculpture by GIAMBOLOGNA. Nude figure of the 'winged messenger'. He is wearing a winged broad brimmed hat and carries a staff on his left arm, while the right hand points to the sky.
An identical casting is to be found above Bradford & Bingley Offices, High Street, Sheffield - see < http://shimmer.shu. > for details.
The same statue is also used at the National Memorial Arboretum, Staffordshire, as part of the Royal Corps of Signals Memorial.
Commission: York City and County Bank. (Messrs.Demaine and Brierley of York were the architects; Messrs. Anelay and Sons of Doncaster, the builders). Cost of building was £10,000. Plans for the building are held at the Doncaster Archives however they have no information on the statues. Beside the bank, the building also incorporated offices on High Street for a stockbroker, R.E.Clark, who had previously occupied a building on the site, and a shop on Baxtergate, which was subsequently used by the Home and Colonial Tea Co. 
Comment: Mercury was the god of trade, as well as being the messenger of the gods. In 1912 the bank amalgamated with the London Joint Stock Bank and in 1921 a further amalgamation created the London Joint City and Midland Bank, which soon became the Midland Bank. In the late 1990's this was taken over and became the HSBC.
References:  e-mail from Helen Wallder at Doncaster Local Studies Library. 17th January 2003.