Barnsley, South Yorkshire
Location: At the junction of Sheffield Road and Vernon Road, to the north-east of the town centre. Description: A squat obelisk on a pedestal. Surrounding the base of the obelisk is a circular basin. At one side of this is a rectangular horse trough. Drinking water is no longer available as the fittings have been removed. Inscription: On the obelisk: THE GIFT / OF / FANNY MASON and on the opposite side: GOD SAVE / THE / QUEEN / A.D. 1887 On the side of the horse trough: THE GIFT OF / JOHN MASON M.A. Commission: A Fountain with troughs for horses and dogs had been proposed for this site. There had been some difference of opinion about the suitability of this site which was resolved when the Rev. and Mrs Mason, of Pinder Oaks, made an application to erect this fountain, "at their sole expense .. in commemoration of the Queen's Jubilee" . This was granted by Barnsley Corporation at a meeting on 15th December, 1887, at which the Corporation agreed to donate the site and water from the mains supply. The Fountain was opened on 28th June, 1888 (Coronation Day) by Mr Alderman Wood, on behalf of the Corporation.  Comment: The fountain has been moved slightly from its original site to facilitate the movement of traffic. It is now on the right side of Sheffield Road near the junction with Vernon Road. References:  "The Barnsley Annual" p.13  Alliott, Gerald J. 'The Vanishing Relics of Barnsley', Wharncliffe Publishing, 1996. p.98-9
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Streets -- Accessories
Memorials -- England (South Yorkshire)