Blind Institute Entrance
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
Coats of arms
View of the carving at street level on the facade of the new building. Location: Above the main entrance to the Royal Institute for the Blind, Mappin Street, S1. The building was demolished in 2007 and the sculpture saved. A new multipurpose building has been erected on the site which includes provision for the RIB - this artwork has been reinstalled on the new facade at the same place on the street. Description: On the top of the left hand column by the entrance is a blindfolded head in front of a grating. The right hand column is topped by a hand interpreting braille in front of a symbol for light. Between the column is a finely detailed carving of the Royal coat of arms. Commission: The architects for the original building were Hadfield and Cawkwell, a Sheffield-based firm. Comment: The same artist also worked on reliefs for the Gas Showrooms on Commercial Street, S1, and inside the Church of the Sacred Heart beyond the city centre in Hillsborough.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Sculpture, British -- 1900-2000
Sculpture -- England -- Sheffield
Public art -- England -- Sheffield
Relief (Sculpture), English