Belle-Alliance Platz - Mehringplatz
18th century ; 19th century ; 20th century
Aerial view: Belle-Alliance Platz (now called Mehringplatz) from a photograph displayed onsite. This image shows the square as it was in 1935. It was laid out in the mid 18th century and in 1815 re-named after the Battle of Waterloo (known in Prussia as the Battle of Belle-Alliance). The Peace Column (Sculptor: C.D. RAUCH) in the centre dates from 1830. The area was destroyed at the end of WW2. The square was renamed, after a socialist historian Franz Mehring, and eventually rebuilt in the 1960s as subsidised housing (SCHAROUN , DÜTTMANN), after the Berlin Wall had been constructed close by. The square is now (2012) awaiting a fresh redevelopment. Photographs of the area like this, taken at various dates, have been displayed around it as part of the public consultation process. An 'urban art venture' called The Berlin Oracle is also planned to promote the area: see also < http://www.theberli > .
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Streetscapes (Urban design) -- Germany
Architecture -- Germany
Architecture -- 1700-1800
City squares -- Germany
Gardens -- Germany