(The martyred village)
20th century ; 21st century
Exterior view: distant view of the new village built after the War. On June 10, 2011 642 inhabitants of this village by rounded up and killed by a German Waffen-SS Detachment. Their bodies were burned and all the houses in the village destroyed. In 1946 General de Gaulle declared the site should be preserved as a memorial. A new village was built to the immediate north-west of the village. The local cemetery contains a memorial to the massacre and two glass-topped 'coffins' containing ash and fire-damaged fragments including bone. A crypt under the grass space in front of the cemetery houses displays of fire-damaged relics from the village. In 1999 the Centre de la Mémoire (MARTY & CARRILERO, 1999) was built south-west of the village through which visitors pass to enter the site. This visitor centre provides information on the background to the atrocity and is sited in a hollow to lessen visual impact.
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Oradour-sur-Glane Massacre, 1944
Memorials -- France
World War, 1939-1945 -- Atrocities
Monuments -- France
Villages -- France