13th century ; 14th century ; 15th century ; 19th century ; 20th century
Cologne, North Rhine-Westphalia
Tourist behaviour ; Tourism impact
Exterior view: the south-west corner of Cologne Cathedral. Steps down to public toilets are accessed beneath the square. The corner of the Romano-German Museum is visible to the right of the wall of the toilet building. Tourists resting, passing through the square or using the facilities. This square is the site for Cologne's Christmas Market. Cologne Cathedral was begun in c. 1248 though building work halted in the late 15th century and the building was not completed until the 19th century when building resumed in 1842 and it was completed in 1880. At the time of completion it was the tallest building in the world. Astonishingly the Cathedral was the only building left relatively unscathed in the city centre after bombing in WW2. The area in the immediate vicinity of the Cathedral has been heavily re-landscaped and re-used since this time. An underpass carries traffic under the land immediately north of the building, an underground carpark has its entrance beneath the exterior of the West Front and public toilets can be accessed from the south-west corner of the building. Three squares give views of the Cathedral from all but East side which is hemmed in (from south to north) by the Romano-German Museum, the Museum Ludwig and the Hauptbahnhof (Central Station).
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Architecture -- 1900-2000
Cathedrals -- Germany
Architecture -- 1200-1300
Architecture -- 1800-1900
Landscape design -- Germany
Architecture -- 1300-1400
Architecture -- 1400-1500
City squares -- Germany
Tourism -- Germany