Memorial plant trough to Annie Hall
Sheffield, South Yorkshire
View of the inscription on the trough. Location: Near the entrance to Norton Parish Church, Norton Church Road. (A-Z p.111 6F) Description: Stone horse trough, ornately carved with mythical creatures and other decorative details. The trough is no longer has water in it but is instead used as a container for planted flowers. Inscriptions: The inscription on the left hand end of the trough reads; TO THE MEMORY OF / ANNIE HALL / OF NORTON VICARAGE / ERECTED BY / PARISHIONERS & OTHER / FRIENDS. A.D. 1905 Commission: Erected by local parishioners and friends of the deceased. The money was raised by public subscription. This was originally sited at the junction of Blackstock and Hemsworth Roads as a watering place to refresh weary horses after the long haul from the city. It was repositioned near the Chantrey Monument in 1956, when the new traffic island was made. Mrs Hall was greatly concerned for the welfare of all animals and an interesting feature of the horse trough is an additional drinking bowl for dogs.  References:  Letter from Norton Local History Group
© Sheffield Hallam University
For educational use only. This image may be used in print or digital materials provided that full acknowledgment is given, expressed as follows: " © < insert details from the 'Rights' field >. Photographed by < insert details from the 'Photographed by' field >."
Image Storage Location:
Relief (Sculpture), English
Public art -- England -- Sheffield